15a Brighton Place
Brighton BN1 1HJ
01273 284 008
After 2 years’ training with a busy high street practice in greater London, I moved to a Legal 500 firm to expand upon my company commercial experience and then spent four years working in commerce and industry. I then returned to a large high street practice where I spent almost 15 years, the majority of which were spent as partner and a senior member of the commercial and litigation department.
I hold a degree in Law with French and a diploma in French Legal Studies from Strasbourg University. Having also spent time living in Spain I have a good working knowledge of both French and Spanish. I also have experience of teaching English as a foreign language, both in the UK and abroad. I have enjoyed using my teaching skills when mentoring junior fee earners as well as providing training to clients on specific areas of law relevant to their business.
Karen is a litigator and business lawyer with more than 14 years experience in private practice and five years in commerce and industry. She prides myself on cultivating long term partnerships with my clients through getting to know their business and providing swift, practical and cost effective solutions.
Karen's aim is to operate as an outsourced legal department service for SMEs at a cost that is affordable and on terms tailored to each client’s exact requirements. She works to ensure legal risk is carefully considered and limited as far as possible in any given situation. That said, Karen is also happy to provide advice on an ad hoc basis, if more suited to clients’ circumstances.
Karen regularly provides advice on:
- contract and other commercial disputes
- resolving problems through alternative dispute resolution, without the need for costly court proceedings
- representing clients through court proceedings in County, High, Chancery and Administrative Courts
- commercial debt recovery and insolvency procedures
- reviewing and drafting a range of commercial contracts, terms of business, shareholders’ agreements, partnership agreements, contracts of service
- starting up a business
- advising directors, shareholders, employers and employees on their respective obligations
- employment advice, including drafting contracts and advising on procedures and best practice, bringing and defending claims
- managing creditors and cashflow
- managing supplier and other contractual relationships